Friday, June 15, 2012

Hemlig - a secret

After my Solo Show I felt I needed to take a break from my serious, time consuming and detail heavy watercolours. I found myself entranced (yet again) with the porcelain dolls of fellow artist Hemlig (a word which means "secret")


Back in Australia I have a small collection of her Myling dolls, and am particularly drawn to her sugar skulls and ghosts. Working with many similar themes (ghosts, conjoined twins and anatomical references) right now myself, I found the intriguing little characters she creates the perfect muses for some quick illustrations whilst I've been abroad.

 
This is the same style I use when sketching out costume ideas (my side "business" is sewing petit couture for dolls) and I find it refreshing to work in a simpler, more charming style for a change.

Here is the little "portrait" I painted of her doll Breathmint, and the thank-you that brought a smile to my face in return...




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Hemlig's stunning creations, you really did wonderful illustrations of those amazing dolls!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx