Sunday, March 21, 2010

Enchanted Doll 2010 Competition


Marina announced her Enchanted Doll 2010 Birthday competition on November 16th, 2009. I began work immediately. I had an idea in my mind and I knew it was ambitious, but I wanted to bring it to fruition. I spent three solid months on my entry, and learnt an incredible amount about watercolours and myself along the way. 
It was both joyous and painful to create, I drew through many hours of hand cramps, and my body was running of adrenaline by the end of it. When I did finally finish the set, my immune system gave up and I fell sick for a good 5 weeks. I learnt a lot about what I can expect from myself in the future, and where to stop. 
~

For my entry I created a set of nine original watercolour drawings. A print set consisting of two copies of each drawing were also included - for use as Enchanted Doll box inserts, if Marina wanted to use them as such.
Each drawing was created to echo the process that goes into creating Marina's dolls. A base "sculpt" was used - in this case the serene face of Banshee. Then that sculpt was turned into a unique and individual character through colouring, painting and costuming. The adornments the dolls are wearing were all inspired by the intricate tiny silver accessories marina creates for her Enchanted Dolls. 


 


 







~

This morning I found out I came second place. Amongst all the hundreds of incredible entries that were submitted... I am so amazed and beyond words... and a little emotional! 

10 comments:

  1. amazing works Monika, each one is more beautiful than the next one. i'm so happy for you and excited with you to see your prize!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! Your work is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful. I can't think of anything else that would come close to expressing how great I think these are. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - your work is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the really sweet congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations.

    Your work is just incredible. I am blown away by it.

    It's amazing how we can feel so engaged in, and intensely about something that we push ourselves past our limits and our bodies try to tell us something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on coming in second place. You work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous... how I wish your name to thank you for such a thoughtful comment, I've re-read it several times, so true...

    thanks ashley, such kindess, I'm touched!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are breathtaking! the intricacy of detail you have incorporated is just amazing - i'm so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monika, these are so fantastic! You had the joy of challenging yourself in making them, of being recognized by Marina herself as a gifted artist, and of winning a very special prize. So I think you deserve three separate congratulations!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx